Awesome NoSQL Guides
Curated list of resources and links about using NoSQL databases and things to look for when deciding to use one.
A basic definition of NoSQL databases can be found on Wikipedia as:
“A NoSQL (originally referring to ‘non SQL’ or ‘non relational’) database provides a mechanism for storage and retrieval of data which is modeled in means other than the tabular relations used in relational databases.”
For actual NoSQL databases, you can go
here. Also, not to be confused with the relational database management system, NoSQL.
Overview of NoSQL
- Introduction To NoSQL - Martin Fowler (54:52) - Talk given at GOTO 2012 as a great introduction to NoSQL databases, the types of NoSQL databases, their history, pros and cons, and how and when to use them.
- NoSQL Distilled - Very digestable and affordable book describing the different NoSQL databases and help you make the decision on whether using a NoSQL database is appropriate for your project.
- Seven Databases in Song (1:43) - Fun song from 2012 about seven (six are NoSQL) databases with a very condensed overview of how they each work.
- NoSQL Databases: a Survey and Decision Guidance (2016) - “This NoSQL Toolbox allows us to derive a simple decision tree to help practitioners and researchers filter potential system candidates based on central application requirements”.
- Data Management in the Cloud: Limitations and Opportunities (PDF) - Abadi (2009) discusses limitations and opportunities of data management and data analysis in the cloud.
- 10 NoSQL Misconceptions - Some misconceptions about NoSQL databases relating to topics such as what they are, ACID-compliance, and security.
- 10 Reasons Developers Love NoSQL - A list of ten arguments for why developers like to use NoSQL databases.
- Distribution, Data, Deployment: Software Architecture Convergence in Big Data Systems (PDF) - Gorton and Klein (2014) paper to discuss software engineering concerns when dealing with big data systems in terms of distribution, data, and deployment. Also accessible here.
- Use cases for NoSQL (2017) - Discussion on Stack Overflow on best use cases for using NoSQL databases over traditional SQL databases.
- Best Practices for NoSQL Database Design (2012) - A couple answers and links for NoSQL database design.
- Five Common Data Stores and When to Use Them (2019) - Article describes five common data stores (relational database, non-relational (“NoSQL”) database, key-value store, full-text search engine, message queue) and their attributes.
- NoSQL Databases (PDF) - A 149-page document outlining motives and rationale for NoSQL databases, and common concepts, techniques and patterns among these databases; last updated around 2011.
- NoSQL Data Architecture & Data Governance: Everything You Need to Know (2018) - Overview of different NoSQL database architectures with diagrams.
- NoSQL vs SQL: Demystifying NoSQL Databases (2019) - General overview and examples of NoSQL database schema types, while covering CAP theorem tradeoffs.
- Comparing Database Types: How Database Types Evolved to Meet Different Needs - Good overview of databases in general and how NoSQL database types differ and can be useful.
- The NoSQL Ecosystem - A chapter written by Adam Marcus from “The Architecture of Open Source Applications” book, this chapter is geared more towards systems architects needing to learn more in-depth understanding of how these systems are built.
- What is NoSQL - Amazon AWS - Great high-level overview of NoSQL databases and how they compare to SQL database technologies and terminologies. Serves as landing page for Amazon’s AWS services for NoSQL options of key-value (Amazon DynamoDB), document (Amazon DocumentDB), graph (Amazon Neptune), in-memory (Amazon ElastiCache), and search-engine (Amazon Elasticsearch) database.
- SQL vs. NoSQL Databases: What’s the Difference (2019) - Upwork - Explanation comparing SQL and NoSQL databases, along with giving some advice on what database solution is right for your use case.
Data Structures and Modeling
Trade-Offs in CAP/Brewer’s Theorem
Criticisms and Debates